This page details all terms and conditions which apply to ANU Sport Fitness Centre contract holders. Please refer to your individual contract to confirm which terms and conditions apply to you.
Conditions of Membership
Members must comply with the following conditions of use and all directions given by ANU Sport and its staff.
- ANU Sport may approve, refuse or cancel the membership of any person at its absolute discretion.
- Membership of the ANU Sport Fitness Centre does not itself confer upon any member any interest in the assets of the Fitness Centre or ANU Sport or any right to participate in the management of the Fitness Centre or ANU Sport.
- Members may only use ANU Sport’s Fitness Centre during the hours determined by the Management of ANU Sport (“Operating Hours”) subject to these conditions.
- ANU Sport may close the Fitness Centre, alter operating hours, change or add to those conditions or other rules of use at any time without notice. Each member agrees to be bound by any changes or addition to these conditions or other rules of use. If ANU Sport changes or adds to these conditions, then they will be prominently displayed at the Fitness Centre.
- Persons under the age of 16 will not be permitted in the Fitness Centre areas at any time. Persons under the age of 17 will only be considered eligible for entry to ANU Sport Fitness Centre membership if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian and with approval from ANU Sport Management.
- All members are bound by any changes to the Membership Terms and Conditions that occur during the term of their membership. The most up-to-date version can be found at https://www.anu-sport.com.au/fitness-centre/terms-conditions.
- Members must complete the pre-exercise questionnaire prior to entering into a membership agreement. ANU Sport retains the right to refuse any individuals from becoming a member of ANU Sport Fitness Centre if deemed to be at risk, without medical clearance.
- Each member warrants that all information supplied in their application is accurate, they are medically able to participate in physical exercise by way of the Fitness Centre’s facilities and they are not aware of having any physical or medical condition that may be aggravated through their use of the Fitness Centre facilities.
- Members are obliged to inform ANU Sport of any new injuries or conditions they sustain or acquired within the duration of their Fitness Centre membership, which may require a medical clearance prior to continuing any activities at the Fitness Centre.
- Members have the right to make complaints to the Health Services Commissioner under the Human Rights Commission Act 2005.
- Members MUST scan their valid membership card at ANU Sport reception before entering the Main Gym, Strength & Conditioning Gym or Group Fitness Classes. Members must also produce said card, whilst in the Fitness Centre upon request of ANU Sport staff.
- Members with an ‘Off-Peak’ membership are only entitled access to the facilities before 2pm each day. Members with a ‘Full’ membership have access across all ANU Sport Fitness Centre operating hours. All members are bound by ANU Sport operating hours as discussed in section 3 of the ANU Sport Conditions of Membership.
- Members must always wear appropriate attire whilst exercising in the facility (e.g. Track pants, shorts, t-shirts and singlets). Shoes MUST always be worn. Thongs, sandals or bare feet are not permitted.
- Members found to be granting gym admission to individuals without memberships will have their membership cancelled. Direct Debit members who have not reached their minimum expiry will be liable to pay the remaining amount on their contract upfront.
- A member must immediately notify reception at ANU Sport Fitness Centre if the member loses their membership card. A $5 charge will be levied for the cost of a replacement card.
- The failure to use the Fitness Centre does not entitle the member to a rebate or refund on any fees paid.
- The failure to cancel an ongoing membership after the minimum contract period has passed does not entitle a member to a rebate or refund on any fees paid.
- For details on cancelling a Direct Debit membership, please refer to the Direct Debit Service Agreement which can be found at https://www.anu-sport.com.au/fitness-centre/terms-conditions.
- Refunds or deferral of membership will only be considered in circumstances pertaining to sickness or physical incapacity.
- Members are given a 7 day “Cooling off” period from the date of signing their membership application, during which time they may withdraw and terminate their application. Applications for termination must be made in writing to ANU Sport within the 7-day cooling off period. A $30 admin fee will be deduced from the refund amount for an Upfront membership that is cancelled during this period.
- Memberships can be suspended for a minimum of 7 days and a maximum of 56 days per application. A $5.00 fee will be charged, and a completed suspension form is required for every request. Suspensions are not available for Direct Debit Opt-Out Memberships. See Suspension Guidelines for further details.
- Annual price increases may be implemented on January 1 of each year after approval from the ANU Sport Board.
- All memberships are non-transferable.
24. Inappropriate language or conduct including excessively loud behavior such as grunting, yelling or screaming that may interfere with other members is not permitted (at the discretion of ANU Sport staff).
25. Any forms of harassment or bullying of other members or staff will not be tolerated and will result in immediate suspension or cancellation of offending party/parties’ membership.
26. All members must use towels on all mats and training equipment during gym workouts. This requirement will be strictly monitored. Members who do not bring a towel are required to purchase or hire one from ANU Sport reception or will be refused entry.
27. Members must not take bags into the Main Gym area.
28. Members must not monopolies equipment for extended periods and must comply with time limits determined by ANU Sport. This rule extends to the Cardio Theatre which has an absolute 30-minute limit per machine.
29. Members MUST use retainer collars on all lifting bars, unload ALL lifting bars after use and return ALL weights to their appropriate storage area after use.
30. Members must not transfer equipment between rooms of the Fitness Centre without prior approval from staff.
31. Each member uses the ANU Sport Fitness Centre and its facilities at their own risk.
32. Each member indemnifies and releases ANU Sport from any claim arising as a result of the member’s use of the Fitness Centre, its facilities or any advice given by ANU Sport staff.
ANU Sport Membership
33. Excluding ‘General’ Fitness Centre membership holders, all Fitness Centre members are also members of ANU Sport. Details of what this entitles you to can be found in the ANU Sport constitution, section 11. The constitution can be found at https://www.anu-sport.com.au/about-us/governance.
In these conditions:
ANU Sport means the Australian National University Sport and Recreation Association Inc., its employees, officers, contractors and agents.
Member refers to a person who has become a member of the ANU Sport Fitness Centre.
The above Conditions of Membership follow the regulations stipulated in the Australian Capital Territory Fair Trading (Fitness Industry) Code of Practice 2009.
Direct Debit Service Agreement (Any time Opt-Out Membership)
By signing the direct debit request, you have authorised ANU Sport to arrange for funds to be debited from your nominated card.
1. Debit process
1.1 You should refer to the direct debit request and this agreement for the terms of the arrangement between yourself and ANU Sport. These terms can also be found on the ANU Sport website at https://www.anu-sport.com.au/fitness-centre/terms-conditions.
1.2 ANU Sport will only arrange for funds to be debited from your card as authorised in the direct debit request. The debit day will always fall on a Thursday and then every fortnight thereafter.
1.3 If there is a public or bank holiday on the day of the debit, the debit will be processed on the next business day.
1.4 ANU Sport may vary any details of this agreement or change the amount agreed upon at any time by giving you at least 14 days’ written notice.
1.5 Notwithstanding the above, all contracts are subject to annual price increases on the January 1st of each year.
2. Your Obligations
2.1 Minimum debits to be made on a Opt-Out Membership will be two (2) consecutive debit payments.
2.2 It is your responsibility to ensure that there are enough funds available on your card to allow a debit payment to be made in accordance with the direct debit request and that your card details remain up to date.
2.3 If there are insufficient funds on your card to meet a debit payment or your card details are not current or accurate:
- You will incur a rejection fee of $5.00 which was incurred by ANU Sport; and
- You must arrange for the debit payment to be made by another method at your earliest convenience as you will not be allowed entry until the missed debit has been cleared.
- If multiple unpaid debits accumulate, your contact details may be passed on to a 3rd party for debt recovery.
2.4 You should check your card statement to verify that the amounts debited from your card are correct.
2.5 You must notify ANU Sport immediately if you fall out of the membership category you are in. Membership rates are based on your current situation.
2.6 You must be a current ANU Student to be allowed to hold an ANU Sport Student Gym Membership.
3. Changes by you
3.1 If you wish to stop your debit payment you must notify ANU Sport in writing in the form of a ‘Cancellation of Direct Debit Request’ form at least 14 days before the next debit day. Once this has been received by ANU Sport, it may take up to 14 days to be processed and you may be debited a pro-rata amount during this time.
3.2 Cancellation requests must be approved by ANU Sport management. Cancellations will not be approved where the member has outstanding fees owing on their membership.
3.3 After 2 debits have been achieved, the debits will continue until you advise ANU Sport to stop the debits against your nominated card. You can stop this process at any time after the minimum period has been achieved, as outlined in section 3.1.
3.4 To cancel your membership prior to the minimum 2 debits, you must pay out the remaining portion of your membership.
3.5 The failure to use the Fitness Centre does not entitle the member to a rebate or refund on any fees paid.
3.6 The failure to cancel an ongoing membership after the minimum contract period has passed does not entitle a member to a rebate or refund on any fees paid.
4.1 If you believe that there has been an error in debiting your card, you must notify ANU Sport in writing by emailing sportanu-sport [dot] com [dot] au. Should you wish to make a follow up phone call to ensure your email has been received, please call ANU Sport on 02 6125 2273.
4.2 If ANU Sport concludes as a result of the investigation that your card has been incorrectly debited, ANU Sport will respond to your query by arranging a transfer of funds back to your nominated bank account through a ‘Refund Request’.
4.3 If ANU Sport concludes as a result of the investigation that your card has not been incorrectly debited, ANU Sport will respond to your query by providing you with reasons and any evidence for this finding.
4.4 Any queries you may have about an error made in debiting your card should be directed to ANU Sport in the first instance to ensure ANU Sport can attempt to resolve the matter as quickly as possible.
5. Payment method
5.1 You must ensure the card details you have provided to ANU Sport are correct. Please note that ANU Sport is only able to process debit payments from Credit or Debit VISA or MasterCard cards of 16 digits.
5.2 For any changes to your card details (Cancellations/New card), it is your responsibility to advise ANU Sport 14 days before a direct debit run is made. Failure to do so will result in the incursion of a $5 rejection fee on your part, as outlined in section 2.3.
5.3 A new Direct Debit Request form will need to be completed if any changes to your card details have been made.
6.1 ANU Sport will keep any information (including your card details) in your direct debit request confidential.
6.2 ANU Sport will make reasonable efforts to keep any such information that ANU Sport has about you secure and to ensure that all employees or agents of ANU Sport who have access to information about you do not make any unauthorised use, modification, reproduction or disclosure of that information.
Membership Suspension Guidelines
- Minimum of 7 days and a maximum of 56 days suspension per application.
- Ongoing memberships have a maximum of 56 days of suspension per calendar year. Unused suspension days do not roll over.
- Upfront memberships have a maximum of 56 days suspension per contract.
- A minimum of 3 days written notice is required when requesting a suspension.
- $5.00 fee for every suspension request.
- Suspended period is calculated inclusive of the dates listed.
- The member’s payments will be re-activated after their suspension period has been completed.
- Depending on the days the suspension falls on, direct debit members may be charged a pro-rata amount during their suspension.
- The number of days suspended will be added onto the end of the member’s current membership contract or minimum expiry.
- Membership suspension will not be authorized if membership payments are outstanding.
- Requests for suspensions via phone or email will not be accepted.
- Suspensions are not available for Opt-Out Direct Debit Memberships.
- Application must be approved by the Fitness Services Manager.