Intervarsity Cricket Thriller

The inaugural Intervarsity T20 Cricket match between The Australian National University (ANU) and The University of Canberra (UC) finished in dramatic fashion yesterday after both times finished their innings on the same score of 133. It meant that a super over was required to split the teams and determine the eventual winner.

The highly-anticipated clash was scheduled to be played on South Oval last Wednesday 21 October, however, inclement weather meant the game had to be called off. The re-scheduled fixture meant the game was now to be played on the picturesque on North Oval in brilliant conditions – a blessing in disguise.

Both teams were scattered with local first-grade talent, with ANU’s entire squad playing in Canberra’s premier division.


UC Team                       ANU Team

Callum Taylor               Angus Forth

Sam Perry                     Sam Carters

Luke Ryan ©                Owen Chivers

Dean Solway               Vibhav Damodaran

Mark Solway                Ujjwal Devliyal

Jake Provan                 Lakshmn Shivakumar

Kean Senaratne         Guy Gillespie

Josh Rowland             Nic Everett

Luke Greyxckz            Max Wakefield

Tim Maitland               Scott Murn ©

Anmal Kauran            Fletcher Stewart

Divjat Sahni                Jono Warren


UC Captain, Luke Ryan, won the toss and elected to bat first. ANU’s opening bowlers started well with some tight bowling from Guy Gillespie and an early wicket to Nick Everett. The visitors managed to fight back with a 46 run partnership thanks to Mark Solway and Callum Taylor before the breakthrough from Laksman Shivakumar led to a middle order collapse. ANU captain, Scott Murn chipped in with a couple of wickets of his own in the middle stages of the innings before a 7th wicket partnership between Sam Perry and Jake Provan took UC to a competitive total of 133 for ANU to chase down.

1st Innings Highlights: UC 6/133 - Sam Perry (31*), Mark Solway (29), Jake Provan (20*), Scott Murn (2/14), Angus Forth (1/10), Ujjwal Devliyal (1/12)


In response to UC’s total of 133, ANU got off to a flyer thanks to opening batsmen Sam Carters and Owen Chivers. The pair were 48 off the first 34 deliveries before Carters was caught for a quick fire 22. This brought Laksman Shivakumar to the crease who kept the runs ticking over nicely before being unluckily dismissed for 17 by a run out that deflected off the bowlers’ fingers. The big hitting didn’t stop there when Fletcher Stewart joined Chivers at the crease, hitting 18 off 11 balls before being caught on the boundary going for one too many. Mark Solway, Luke Greyxchz and Luke Ryan were the pick of the bowlers, tying up their ends and claiming key wickets at the death.

With an over remaining, Chivers, reached a well-deserved 50. However, a ball later was sharply caught and bowled leaving ANU with 7 runs to win off 5 balls. Scott Murn nearly finished the match with a maximum off the fourth last delivery, but a brilliant catch on the boundary put UC into the box seat. With the final delivery of the innings, ANU required 2 runs to tie and 3 to win… You guessed it. 2 runs for ANU meant a tie and subsequently a super over.

2nd  Innings Highlights: ANU 5/133 – Owen Chivers (50), Sam Carters (22), Fletcher Stewart (18), Luke Greyzckz (2/22), Tim Maitland (1/12), Luke Ryan (1/21)


ANU batted first in the super over setting UC a difficult yet achievable 12 runs to win. ANU's first 3 balls went for only 4 before a big 6 from Callum Taylor left 2 to win off 2 balls. However, there was more drama when wicketkeeper Fletcher Stewart ran out Dean Solway of the penultement delivery. With 2 from 1 required, brother Mark Solway broke ANU hearts with a lap sweep that just cleared the head of short fine leg to give UC a memorable victory.


A big thank you must go to UC Life and the ANU Cricket Club for their assistance in organising such a successful event. The ANU AFL club and ANU Sport staff did a great job keeping the spectators well fed and hydrated at the BBQ and bar. We must also mention the umpires, for which the game would not have been possible without them. Finally, thanks to players from both universities for playing the game in a great spirit and putting on an exciting display of Intervarsity Cricket for the crowds.


We look forward to the return fixture next year.